Please note the following points to get the most out your visit to this country and enjoy its most spectacular sites.
ADVANTAGES OF HIRING A PROFESSIONAL GUIDE
- Saves time (some destinations are difficult to reach, especially if you are not familiar with the area).
- Saves money (rental and car insurance).
- Accommodation and meals available at suitable sites with better quality / price ratio (Needing to book a hotel only upon arrival and departure from Muscat).
- Safe driving (both city and roads) in a suitable vehicle and in perfect condition.
- Getting to know better the traditions, history and curiosities of the surroundings (usually in English).
- Planning: Pick up and drop off according to customer needs.
PLAN YOUR VISIT:
- Maximum safety (both police and citizens will be happy to help) if needed the emergency number is 9999.
- No vaccinations needed and food is safe.
- Stay hydrated and always wear sunscreen on your routes.
- Camping is free and a widespread habit
Cities and towns:
- Before photographing people ask for their permission (especially in the case of women, children and Bedouin).
- Do not scream or litter in the places you visit
Mosques and Museums:
- Check your schedule.
- Comply with access standards (clothing).
- Respect the history and traditions.
- Mosques (in general) access is only for Muslims
- The roads are properly signaled and in excellent condition
- The signs are in Arabic and English (with multiple translations of the same site that can often mislead you on your map).
- Google navigation does not work (it will only show your position).
- Special attention when crossing wadis (floods).
- Special attention on roads (use 4WD) because of slopes and rain (landslides and rocks).
- Special attention with animal crossings (camels, goats, donkeys, …) that can cause an accident.
- Avoid night driving on roads.
- Driving (steering wheel on the left) is on the right.
- Respect traffic rules (there are many radars and cameras at traffic lights and intersections).
- International circulation permit is necessary and a valid insurance.
- In Muscat you will be fined if you drive with a dirty vehicle.
- Respect the flora and fauna
- Do not go into mountains, desert, dunes, beaches, wadis without the proper knowledge and the company of other 4WD.
- Watch the weather (avoid rain and floods).
- Bring proper clothing and suitable material for each location.